Friday, August 28, 2009

Falling flat on my face....

I had the biggest 'Urgh!!!' night of the year last night...

The Fitzwilliam End of Month game was on last night, decided to try a Satt myself a ticket; joined a €60, 10 player Satt for 2 tickets, was in MP when I found Ad10d in the 4th/5th hand dealt. I hadn't played any hands at this stage. One limper plus the blinds (25/50) I raised to 200. Player next to me (old guy - plays very wide range) calls, Phil (PGodkin on Boards.ie) re-raises to 800. I've played Philip before, he often re-raises if he has position with any ace/pairs, as action folded back to me I felt my holding was good and I flat called leaving myself with 700 behind. Flop comes QdJd8h; I had a nice clean inside straight draw, flush draw and straight flush draw - with 17 outs, I shipped! Phil insta-called with AcKs... then groaned when he saw my hand... But no diamond, never mind a king or nine, to save me and Phil is fist-pumping as his better kicker holds to put me first out of the Satt(!) Urgh!!!

Denise offers me another Satt but I declined - instead I asked to join the list for a cash table... Playing 1/2 PLHE cash, I raised to €10 UTG+2 with two black 7s, MP, CO and Button calls to see a flop of 8s9s10s. I checked along with MP, CO bets 50, Button ships for 180 approx... I'm in a spot. I WANT to call the Button, an awful LAG, who I had pegged as chasing a A high flush draw with one pair on the board but CO's raise just scared me more as a good hand. All I had was 2 outs to beat him... my instincts were screaming at me to call! Showing my cards to the players on either side of me, I folded after a dwell. CO insta-calls the all in, as the dealer deals the SICKEST card on the turn: 6s(!) Button shows As9x as I predicted, and takes the pot, while CO had trips... Urgh!!!

But wait... there's more...

Irish Poker Radio asked me for a brief interview to talk about IDP, I agreed until I saw the questions! It was more about ME than IDP... eek! The interview was being recorded in the Fitzwilliam in the corner where the €50 Blackjack table is... I nearly chickened out, but demurred and spent the whole afternoon preparing my answers etc. But when I arrived my mind went blank and all my well prepared answers went out the window! I just hope I don't sound like an idiot! Nicky O'D and Iain were lovely, putting me at ease, reassuring me it was grand etc. It'll be a while before they show the interview, they will have a hard task editing out all my 'ummms' and 'errrs' making sense out of my speech, LOL! Nicky has kindly promised me a few transcripts from the show so that deaf/hard of hearing poker lovers can follow what was said. I'll put them up on IDP website when I get them...

Just as I said my goodbyes - I turned swiftly around to go back to the tables, slipped on the tiles and fell spectacularly flat on my face...

Urgh!!!!

10 comments:

Rounders123 said...

oh jebus! just read this now. Hope it was just your dignity that was hurt in the fall?.

QueenJ said...

LOL! Only my dignity, honest... What the hell happened to your blog?!!!

Unknown said...

Very good interview on the Irish Poker Radio. Some interesting points on tells and picking up on strength/weakness.

Thomas Maguire said...

Hi Jules, thought your interview on IPR was excellent. You sounded a little nervous at the start but soon got into your stride.

Good stuff.

QueenJ said...

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate them as I have no idea what it sounds like or what was kept in/edited out, still waiting for the transcript!

I was VERY nervous Tom, you could tell by the way I yakked on and on!

Thomas Maguire said...

Hi Jules,

Came across your CI blog site and tried to post a comment but it wouldn't work so gonna post it here.

What an amazing site & your story is amazing. Delighted you have been approved for the CI implant and I hope it goes really well for you in November.

Good luck.

QueenJ said...

Just approved it Tom, it's up now! It attracted a lot of Spammers for some weird reason I had to moderate the comments for now...

Be interesting to see if the CI gives me the extra clout on the tables, to add the speechplay/babbling tells to the visual ones! ;-D

Thomas Maguire said...

Should help a lot or sure at the table but never mind that it will add significantly to your life full stop. Amazing stuff.

Ext3rminat0r said...

Just to warn you about getting CI as I've learnt that some poker chips contains metal weight inside and therefore are liable to get magnetically attached to the CI if you pile your chips up too high and near your new CI! LOL!!!!

QueenJ said...

LOL! Good one... I'll make that my 'party trick' next time some 'wanna-be-pro' is showing off at the table!