Thursday, August 14, 2008

"So... What do you do with da winnin's?"

What winnin's? Ah sure, I spend it o'course!

The serious poker nits out there really swear by a strict bankroll management programme, by keeping everything, extending their poker spending to a percentage of what money they have accumulated to date in order to control the bad variance or downswings... and allow themselves a' wee salary' at the end of the month/year/season.

I use this method somewhat when playing online - to be honest I do play a little 'higher' than the recommended 5% limit so my swings are wild! If I have $100 I play $10 STTs/MTTs games, if I drop below $50 I limit myself to $5 games, but if I drop to $10 ... I will not play the $1 games! Why? The standard of playing at that level is atrocious! As a result I just end up blowing the lot... I'm a tad sceptical about setting store by online playing; sure online is where 'the money' is, but in order to make it you have to put in the hours and grind, grind, grind, which I don't have. Then there's all the stories of collusion, hackers, and fixed cards... and the amount of bad beats I get are horrendous! I don't 'employ' this method playing live, thankfully!

Live playing is a whole different kettle of fish in my opinion, granted there's no rakeback, but there's tells to be spotted, banter to partake in, plus you get to see how the cards are being dealt. I do enjoy playing live more... probably because I make far more from it than playing online.

Back to the question of winnings... I accumulate 'assets'. Whenever I win anything I spend it on something solid. This way I've something to show for my winnings and not a varying bankroll as determined by the mood of lady variance... I've brought items for the house, toys for kids, handbags, shoes, make-up, etc... every time I see/use them, I think 'DPN January 2008 winnings' or 'Irish Deaf Poker Open 2008'. Then I play again when I can afford it or when I want to. The way I see it, I don't lose what I didn't have to begin with. I do keep tabs though, if I'm spending way more than I've won I start to think twice about playing certain games/levels... But my bankroll never actually 'disappears'.

I got criticised recently for spending too much on poker, for having a -€630 loss. This represents 7 months of playing costing less than €100 per month. Let's assume I went out one night a month: get all dolled up (make-up/clothes = €€) have a few drinks before I head out (wine = €€) call for a taxi ... well I ain't walking far in my killer heels aren't I? ( taxi = €€€) meet the girls for a meal or drinks (eating/drinking out = €€€€€) go dancing (nightclub = €€€€) then hail a taxi home (more €€€). I'd spend far MORE than €630 on 7 night outs! And no one would dream of slating me for doing THIS? Go figure(!) Playing one live game a week, I've had a few 'nights out' for a fraction of the cost.

Maybe it doesn't work for some, but it certainly does for me.

PS The August Challenge is running well! From -€630 to +€785 ... and before ye ask I've just brought this for €775!!!:



3 comments:

Rounders123 said...

Sweet fridge but wheres the automatic ice cube dispenser. Anyway 35 is the over/under on the amount of magnets on it this time next year.
Yeah i agree with the expenditure tally versus going out etc if anything it works out cheaper and i suppose its healthier too not taking aboard the alcohol on poker nites out. Although mentally healthier on a larger sample size of live play? well im not sure about that with all the 2 outers you will absorb!.

smurph said...

Nice fridge,

Keep up the good work,

QueenJ said...

LOL! There's an mini ice-maker just inside the top drawer... it's enough for a few martinis or G&Ts! An external dispenser will only have the kids messing with it, like they do every time they visit their Nanas' kitchens. 35 Magnets? Want to up that one? There's 40+ on it already! LOL!

I can honestly say, if I didn't do it this way - I'd blow the lot by playing MORE poker! And the variance WILL be horrible! I try not to drink if I'm playing either - history has proven ad nauseam...

Cheers Smurf! Love the new pic! Where's your update to go with it?! ;-D