Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rigor Mortis Sunday

Last Sunday I made my way to the Jackpot for the team event, playing with Jamie Costello, Gary Clarke and James McManus as part of Team Poker Ireland. I think I must’ve used up more than my share of pokah-luck for the week, I only lasted one hour!!!

When I got my table, I realised pretty quickly that sitting in seat 9 I was at a disadvantage – I was unable to view the bulk of the action which was taking place among players 1-4. It didn’t help that I was totally stone-cold hand dead either, any decent playable-hands I got were OOP and only worth limping in with, I had to fold them to raises. And was glad I did, the amount of AA, KK, QQ, AQ & AK shown by other players was phenomenal! Several players developed big stacks pretty fast... I had nothing - 93, 10 2, J5, 72, 53, etc etc etc ... Just kept folding; folding; folding... not one ace card did I see, never mind KK or QQ! I found 10 10 on the button and raised 4xBB, BB called from seat 2, rest folded flop comes AKx. BB checks, I bet out a continuation bet, and he flat calls. Turn is Q. Again he checks – I bet ¾ of the pot and he flat-calls, checks the non-important river I had to check behind, he shows K with low kicker for better pair(!) WTF!

One more orbit later I’ve 66 in MP, flat call a raise (on AK) but folded to a re-raise (holding AA). Another orbit passes me by til I’m in SB again, I’m down to 3.5k half my starting stack when 3 new players join the table with good size stacks, and I’m surrounded by 15k++ plus stacks I had to get moving. Find JJ in SB, putting out a good size raise, limper in MP hums for a bit - I indicated that I was shoving, if anyone wants to re-raise me all-in. MP had just joined our table. He mulled for more than a minute (he had me covered 9-10 times over...FFS!) before calling with QQ. The queens stand and I’m gone... went looking for the lads, Jamie had just exited. James was still in hovering on an average stack and Gary was nowhere to be seen!

Great game, wonderful atmosphere, if only I had the cards to play! Well done to Boylesports team that won – Lisa C was on my table and caught several fine hands and doubled up not once but 3 times in that hour!

Played a bit of cash pre-game but got no luck there either... went over to the blackjack table and stormed it and won my buy-in and cash table losses back plus a little more! Fed up waiting for a new cash game to start in the Jackpot, Susie and Trisha were in the Fitz, I decided to head over join them there. Susie Woosie did really well splitting the tournament 3 ways for the better share! Plus we went to play some cash...

What a rollercoaster, starting off I had that table owned! And quickly raised 75 into 475 in no time at all... then came the sick beats, I was wiped out in three big pots, the last being the most memorable and the sickest! Limped in with A10 in MP, 2 callers behind me and button (loose calling station) calls too. SB, LAG who has been raising a lot with a wide range, makes it 12 to go. BB and the rest of the players call including me. Flop comes AA7... nice! SB bets 20, BB and 2 limpers fold, before I could think, button throws in 20. Dealer points out I’m still to act and I raise it to 60; button calls and SB folds. I put him on A rag, K7s/Q7s/J7... Turn is another 7, I bet out 100. Button calls. I’m thinking, its gonna be a split pot. 10 on the river had me excited that I’ve hit the better house and I shove for 200+. He insta-calls and shows 77 for quads (!) NH sir... Meh! Had enough went home via blackjack tables – no luck there!

That’s my degeneracy done for the week, me thinks!

2 comments:

Thomas Maguire said...

Wow, that last hand is pretty sick Jules. Really unlucky. I'd say your legs were like jelly standing up after that hand. WHAT a cooler!

QueenJ said...

Totally... I just didn't see it coming, at all! Doke stopped by to say hello afterwards at the Blackjack table I was still green, but I think he looked greener!!!