Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"You play too much poker for a Lady..."

I was dealing in the BrucePoker Mullingar game last Friday, there was a surplus of dealers available so naturally we offered a chance to play. The standard on some tables was so bad it made my local pub game look top-class, I was so tempted to take up the offer before the window closed knowing I could easily go deep in this, but by the time I made up my mind, Dani had no intention of letting me go with people already looking for cash games...

Moaning to one of the older dealers, he shook his finger at me and admonished sternly "You play too much poker for a lady!" The guy has only dealt to me a handful of times in 2 years, asking him why he thought that he went on to point out that women are not suited for poker at all(!) They are more likely "lose" early to be targeted by male players calling their raises with "any two". Of course! But that's EXACTLY what we want them to do anyway(!)



He even offered a bet with me that there won't be any woman on the final two tables. I laughed him off saying the ratio of players wouldn't make it a fair bet while reminding him kindly that Smurph took down the last game... As Smurph and Vera came up looking for a cash game a few minutes later, I caught his eye as he gave me this "see, told ya..." look, shook his head and sighed sadly. I just wish I had taken him up on that bet! One of the female dealers Gerri, just about made it to the final two tables as the last woman standing! Then it would be ME giving him the look as I take his money! LOL!

The IDP monthly game was on Saturday, with half the usual numbers due to several other events clashing. Went to the Fitz afterwards to play some cash it turned into a marathon session! I playing totally crap at the start to be honest and getting lucky. In the end just as I started picking up my game I got well and truly hammered by men who fancied their chances playing with "any two against a woman..." Meh!

Last night the Westbury were hosting a €20+20 Satt for their infamous €250+20 end of month game with two tickets guaranteed; Value! I already told Larry I'd be there. Had a rotten day at work, had kinda made up my mind to leave it for another night. But after putting the little one to bed, seeing nothing worthwhile on TV I quickly changed my mind, alerted the au pair I was heading out after all, hopped in the car and arrived at 9pm only to find the place practically empty!?

Larry welcomed me and asked had I got his PM, I hadn't, he pointed out their regular players had requested the Monday night €35FO and not the Satt but he had a sweet deal for me: if I play the FO and come 1st or 2nd place he will personally give me a ticket regardless of the prize fund with a €100+10FO ticket if I came 3rd. Couldn't refuse that excellent offer, could I!

By the time the game got underway, we had 20 players playing for a €600 prize fund. On the starting table I had Derek 'Ex-Clamper' Williams on the button to my BB, a tough and unpredictable player, he doubled up not once but three times in the first level. I locked horns with him all night, more than any other player! He was very active in nearly every pot, while I didn't see much cards in the early stages. I played aggressively using my position on him and tried to steal with what I had. I yo-yo-ed from 5k starting stack to 7.5k then back down to 2.5k before doubling up, and re-building back to a 9.5k stack by the time I arrived on the final table and tightened up my game.

Derek was on my immediate right as chipleader, that position proved valuable for me later in the game. I picked up QQ and AA and shoved both times, the AA hand knocked out two players and made me chipleader with 6 players left. But Derek being the devils advocate just keep chipping into me! My only regret was when we were 4 handed, I folded ace high to Derek's river shove only to be shown a 9 high bluff, after calling his raises all the way... Grrr!

Once the bubble had burst I quickly eliminated the 3rd player and faced Derek in a battle of wills showdown that last a good 40 mins... where he slowly took the chiplead from me before I levelled the play back to 50-50 with a well executed slow-played two pair. After this Derek offered to split 50-50 with him being declared the outright winner for league points, knowing I had my ticket secured plus €60 in cash, I agreed. Good game, great value for €35... if they increase the starting stack or bring in an early bird chip, I can see this become a regular fixture!

Bring on the €270 game on the 21st April... There will be a Lady on that final table boys!!!

9 comments:

susiewoosie said...

good! GRR.. I'm still grring about Sunday at TPR... pile of shite it was... !!!!!

get to that final table!!! Grrr

Rounders123 said...

Brilliant well done! Ship Ship!!

Thomas Maguire said...

Well done Jules. Nice to have the ticket locked up for the EOM game. Fair play to Larry, he's really promoting his club well and both the €100 & €250 games get great numbers.

Agree about The Clamper; he's a sly old fox.

QueenJ said...

Thanks guys!

Aidan, hope you are still aiming to play too?! Plenty of Satts for yourself and Tom...

TPR... OMG! After the cash league, never again Susie!

QueenJ said...

Tom - I agree, the Clamper's a sly one.... but I enjoy playing him all the same!

Thomas Maguire said...

Played with Derek once in JP's Blinkers Sunday deepstack. I held 66 and raised from MP; he was shortish and called from LP with AJ. Flop AJ6. I bet he called. Turn was 6; all the loot went in and his face when the cards went over was priceless!!!

Thomas Maguire said...

Thinking about it 66 is actually one of my luckiest hands. I've won a lot of big hands with that holding. 1010 on the other hand has busted me more times than I can remember. Still, give me AA all day long TYVM....

QueenJ said...

Amazing how one hand stands out as a winner more than others! QQ is mine, no matter what I do, I get paid off well by the royal sisters... they can backstab me big time if my opponent has them!

Love AA too... but they get cracked 65% of the time :(

Unknown said...

blackjackonlines This is a nice post in an interesting line of content.Thanks for sharing this article.