Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Never underestimate a 'Calling Station'

Got caught short by a Gum-Chewing Calling Station (GCCS) at Hartstown House last night....

Before I explain, I want to make it clear I was VERY happy with my play last night, went from 8k down to 4k and built it back up to 41k... boooootifuuuully!

Til I made a stoooopid move against that GCCS! Was warned during the break that she was dangerous, barely knew how to play and will raise with "anything... "

With my 41k stack, I was on button with Ad10d (BB 1k/2k), 5 BB and 1 SB on table, I raised to 12k. GCCS was UTG (chipleader with 100k approx, believe it or not) called me, UTG+1 went All-In with his remaining 3k. Everyone else folded.

Flop: 5d As Js. GCCS checked, I threw out 15k and she called(!) Whoa!

Turn was 2d - we both checked... I was praying for another diamond!

River 10s. "right" sez I "2 pairs... but watch the flush" she took so long, I really thought she had already checked that it was my go - and said 'check'(!)

Dealer corrected me, she threw in 10k, I hesitated I had 2 pair but was thinking she 'couldn't' have a flush, she hardly bet 10k if she did???!!! I knew from watching her earlier games that she placed great store on pairs never mind anything else, I was already committed to that 46k pot and thinking I could be passing up best two pairs in favour of her making that bet based on my 'check'... so I called...

The b1tch had 8s9s! A flush?!!! FFS!!!

UTG+1 shows AhJh and was out in 8th place - poor fecker, he would have beaten me(!)

Couple other guys on the table started ticking her off: "ya mental calling 12k/15k with those cards" and she "just got lucky"... But I felt sooooooooooo Grrrrrrrr!

Was left with 4k - went all in a few hands later on AdJd and was bombed out in 7th place with a pair of 8s from yours truly(!) Ah well...

Come back Donal - all is forgiven!!! ;-D

2 comments:

Rounders123 said...

Good luck in the owl poker career.
Best of luck in theIrish open ladies event, my best advice is to just treat it as any old tournament and dont be afraid to shift your chips around.
I say this because i played too tight in some of my first big live tournaments which was a mistake looking back.

QueenJ said...

Thanks for that advice, will def take it onboard!